Top reasons for not using turn signals on motorcycles are:
• Not enough time,
• Other driver do not use them also,
• Not using turn signal adds excitement to riding.
What can you take from this? Clearly, the non-use or misuse of turn signals has become some sort of a running joke.
Let us look at some statistics. 2 million crashes happen every year in the USA due to neglected turn signals. Those 2 million crashes could have been prevented (Source: R. Ponziani).
How, you ask?
Here are some advices from your fellow riders:
– When we ride in a group, we put the riders who have problems with blinkers in the middle, so not to cause issues with others (participants in the traffic).
– I simply do not use indicators, this way I will not forget to turn them off.
– I use buzzers, so I always know if I left turn signal on.
Do you have any advice that will help prevent misuse of turn signals? Send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.